The Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR) is an international non-governmental organization which works to promote social and economic justice through human rights. It carries out research and advocacy on policy trends affecting economic and social deprivation and inequality across the globe, and supports efforts of activists and communities to claim and defend economic and social rights.
CESR is seeking an experienced and qualified non-profit financial professional whose primary role is to help ensure the financial health of the organization as well as the effectiveness of its administrative operations, ensuring policies and procedures are followed and compliance standards are met. S/he will also have responsibility for day-to-day human resources administration and assist in development and fundraising efforts.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director, the primary responsibilities of the Finance and Administration Officer include:
- Budget planning and monitoring, manage cash flow, provide financial reports and periodic re-forecasts to management;
- Maintain integrity of CESR’s accounting records in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and perform routine bookkeeping tasks;
- Monitor financial risks and maintain strong internal controls;
- Coordinate annual audit process, liaise with external auditor, CESR’s Treasurer and Board;
- Ensure sound office management, systems and infrastructure, including IT. Liaise with providers on procurement of equipment and services;
- Contribute financial information for grant proposals and reports, ensure effective grant-tracking and reporting, meeting fund management standards set forth by donors;
- Administer CESR’s human resources policies and procedures, including compensation and benefits;
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements, through research and awareness of existing, new, or anticipated legislation.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An advanced degree (or equivalent), preferably in non-profit management, accounting or business administration;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in non-profit administration, preferably in social justice-oriented organizations;
- Accounting and bookkeeping experience, proficiency in Quickbooks and Excel;
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, wire transfers, expense reimbursements, reconciliations of payroll and bank statements;
- Experience in creating budgets and financial reports;
- Familiarity with 501©3 operations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Experience in human resources, benefits administration, and best practices to recruit and retain a diverse and inclusive staff team;
- Experience in development, fundraising and grants management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication, attention to detail, ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights, in a professional or volunteer context;
- Proven professional integrity; and
- Commitment to diversity.
This position is based in CESR’s offices in New York.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject line of your message and cover letter the position you are applying for. Applications should be received no later than midday EDT on 12 May 2017.
CESR is an equal opportunity employer committed to equality and non-discrimination in the workplace and in its hiring practices. It actively seeks to strengthen the diversity of backgrounds and approaches in its staff team. Candidates from under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. CESR offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience, and reflecting best practices in the sector.
In view of the volume of applications anticipated, we regret that we are unable to answer individual queries in relation to posts or on the progress of individual applications. Shortlisted candidates will be notified within 20 days of the deadline for applications.