Although India saw higher economic growth from 1995 to 2005 than its South Asian neighbors, it had one of the smallest declines in under-five mortality rates. This, and the vast gender disparities in primary education, suggests that India is not realizing economic and social rights progressively according maximum available resources, nor is it ensuring equal treatment in access and enjoyment to these rights.
Making human rights accountability more graphic
CESR's factsheet on India provides a graphic overview of selected elements of the human rights to health and education, seeking to highlight areas where government efforts to realize these rights may be inadequate. It was prepared in light of India's appearance before the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) in May 2008.
The 40th session of the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
CESCR is the body of independent experts that monitors implementation of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
Part of CESCR's 40th session (April 28-May 26, 2008 in Geneva) focused on the consideration of the state reports submitted by India. The discussion of this meeting can be found here.
In light of its consideration of India's reports, and the subsequent discussion, the Committee adopted its concluding observations. These concluding observations list principal subjects of concern along with suggestions and recommendations to the state party.
Other NGOs also contributed parallel reports on the Indian government's compliance with the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
- Ambedkkar Center for Justice and Peace
- ActionAid - India
- Forum for Fact-finding Documentation and Advocacy
- Habitat International 2008
- Navdanya -GMOs
- National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights (NCDHR)- International Dalit Solidarity Network (IDSN)
- People's Collective for ESCR
- Muslims in Gujarat
- Housing and Land Rights 2004
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)
- People's Initiative for Peace, Manipur (PIPM), United NGOs Mission Manipur (UNMM), North East Dialogue Forum (NEDF)
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- The Tribal Dimension - National Committee for Human Rights Treaty Monitoring in India (NCHRTM)
- National Dalit Cultural Forum